Winterama is Saturday on Lake Minnewaska in Glenwood
The annual Glenwood Winterama event is coming this Saturday, Feb. 10 to Lake Minnewaska and Lakeside Ballroom. The family-friendly event brings a full day of activities as planned by Glenwood & Beyond. It all begins at 7:30 a.m. with the registration for the third annual Sweati Yeti two-mile run and ends with a pool party at GrandStay Hotel & Suites at 7 p.m.
Jim Palmer, Glenwood & Beyond member and Winterama coordinator, said about this year's event as quoted in the Pope County Tribune newspaper, "We added more kids' games on the ice and will also have some art activities for the kids inside (Lakeside). The Polar Plunge will take place after the kids' games, and then everyone is invited to join us for the chili cook-off in the ballroom with fireworks to follow. It is going to be a fun night, and there is definitely something for the whole family."
The sled dog races have been cancelled for the second year in a row due to the lack of snow. While it is unfortunate, it was a call that had to be made due to safety reasons.
"There needs to be a base of snow pack on the ice or the dogs will hurt themselves," explained Palmer.
A full listing of events is as follows:
• 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m .: Registration for the Sweati Yeti opens at Barsness Park
• 8:30 a.m. – 10 a.m .: Sweati Yeti at Barsness Park
• 9 a.m. – 3 p.m .: Shop Hop specials at local retailers
• 11 a.m. – 1 p.m .: Lunch specials at Lakeside
• 12 p.m. – 3 p.m .: Kids' games on Lake Minnewaska
• 12 p.m. – 3 p.m .: Kids' art class at Lakeside
• 3 p.m. – 4 p.m .: Waterama Polar Plunge
• 4 p.m. – 6:30 p.m .: Chili cook-off at Lakeside Ballroom
• 4 p.m. – 6:30 p.m .: Rockin' dance party
• 4 p.m. – 6:30 p.m .: Beer tasting by Copper Trail Brewing Co.
• 6:30 p.m. – 7 p.m .: Chili cook-off award ceremony
• 6:30 p.m. – 7 p.m .: Prizes drawn for Bobber tickets
• 7 p.m. - fireworks over Lake Minnewaska
• 7 p.m. – 9 p.m .: Pool party at GrandStay Hotel & Suites
The Sweati Yeti!
For the third year in a row, hike, run or walk through a two-mile obstacle course through Barsness Park. Registration for the Sweati Yeti can be made in advance or on the day of the hike. The entry fee is $12 if preregistered by Feb. 9 and $15 if registered on Feb. 10 (entry fees are nonrefundable). Please make checks payable to: Glenwood & Beyond. To preregister, fill out an application and drop it off, along with the entry fee, to Palmer Creations or Glenwood State Bank. Forms can be found online at http://www.glenwoodandbeyond.org. The application and entry fee can also be mailed to Glenwood & Beyond at P.O. Box 434, Glenwood, MN 56334. All runners will receive a Sweati Yeti hat.
"The Sweati Yeti continues to be a big draw at Winterama," said Palmer. "New obstacles will be added thanks to the help from the Pope County Sentence to Serve crew, and we expect another successful run through the woods of Barsness Park. It has been a highlight of the day since we added it a couple years back."
The course is two miles long, beginning and ending at the Barness Park chalet. There are natural and man-made obstacles as well as games along the course that are challenging but achievable for everyone ages 5 and up. This year, there is the opportunity to be a mile marker sponsor; there will be eight markers, one every quarter mile. A total of $50 gets the sponsor's name and logo on the marker.
For more information about the Sweati Yeti, contact Jim Palmer at 320-634-4024, or stop into Palmer Creations. To see additional information, including more on registering for the the chili cook-off contest, visit the Glenwood & Beyond Winterama website: https://www.glenwoodandbeyond.org/winterama.